What ive been up to

Discuss all things regarding the art of making MODELS for Kingpin. Models can be new weapons, new characters, or new "props" Also discuss Kingpin Editing which involves code or scripting issues or procedures.
Sylacs LOL

10 Mar 2003, 08:09 #1

Well its been about 8-9 months since my last model release. Many people have left kp since then, and my underground project was a bit of a bust. I have spent many hours trying to figure out what I can do to somehow give kp a bit of a boost. It seems that ghost has lost interest in the kingpin 2 project he began so I dont expect to see that hit the light of day either. I will be working on getting the polycount section for kp updated although many of the released player models are not authorized from the original authors so they cannot be added there. I have made great attempts in various modelling forums all over the web to promote kingpin and the community but it seems to have all been for naught. Most people would simply say that the game is too old, etc etc. It is true that kingpin is old, and the model, map and code format is too similar to quake 2 to really push it much further then it has already been pushed, if the models are too high poly ( over detailed ) then they become distorted as was seen in my kp2 mod weapons. If the maps are too detailed then it creates problems with r_speeds and other things. There isnt much that can be done to overcome these issues, but what can be done is to move on.
What do I mean by this? Leave kingpin? No. The main reason that kingpin never became as big as it could have been is because of half life. No shot to the game, its great and the attention was well deserved. But the biggest reason this game became so huge was the variety of mods developed for it. There is no question this game wouldnt have been the success it became without mods like counterstrike, and all the others.
So what can be done to change kingpins future? Spam forums promoting the game? No. Email the entire gaming community? Nope. The only thing that can dig this game out of the gutters is to see something new. I dont mean a new mod where you can change a little setting here, or a little setting there. or rehashing all of the things that kingpin can currently do.
A game is truly promoted by public mass advertisement. Either on sites like polycount, moddb, bluenews and other popular gaming sites where they will rave about the mod, about how new it is, and about how cheap the game is now. Noone is going to advertise about a game that has not changed since 1999. We cant expect that the source to kingpin will ever be released, so we must work with what we have.
I am starting this thread to allow the people that come to these forums to submit all thier ideas, all thier hopes and wishes about where they would like kingpin to go. I can create everything that is needed but I cant do it without input from both what you want to see, and what will be considered innovative and unique by the gaming community at large.
Most things take time, and something like this will be no different, of course help from mappers, and other skilled members of the community would be appriciated but since everyone has thier own life, and some people just cant place dedication I dont expect it.
So this is where you come in, dont just read this and move on to the next one, post your ideas, no matter how small or insignifigant you think they are, because that idea is what might bring this game back to the top of the best gaming news sites.
SyImage
Image                     Circa 2004 - Feeling Old LOL   

Garcia FnR

10 Mar 2003, 18:04 #2

Hey Sy, Ok great idea here. I had a thought right off the top of my head so I figured here we go....
I think KP needs a mod that will bring it up to date. What I mean is not the same old weapons, but the ones really used on the streets. Not the ones in the hexed mod, I mean real guns and weapons that you can possible expect on the street. Just think of the worst place in town and what could happen to you there. If they had guns, they wont be using sniper rifles and rocket launchers....anyway, the game I find that is coming out that seems close to KP but too far in the future is Devistation. Here's the website: www.devastationgame.com/
This to me when you look at the screenshots seem to make things more realistic....I mean grab wood off the ground and smash it over someone head! A broken bottle! Take a look if you aren't already following this game and see what I mean.Image

Sylacs LOL

10 Mar 2003, 19:24 #3

The idea of a more modern day kingpin style game has occured to me as well.. I mean wheres the cops in all these gang wars Image The game looks interesting, love the enimem with an hmg image heh. Im afraid I cant really relate on what you would find in the worst part of town cause here your probably just gonna find some grumpy fishermen. I love the idea tho, and I think this one could really go somewhere. Lemme think and see what else I can come up with for this.
Anyone else please continue giving your input as well Image

GT SteelHead

11 Mar 2003, 02:08 #4

did someone say grumpy fisherman LOL ...... Kp is my game but l8tley something has bin lagging out all the servers bin realy hard to play ....dont know whats going on ..... but for the game we need some new blood in it i try to get peeps into it but that dont like the old Engine its on so is there a way to change that ?

cujo

11 Mar 2003, 03:26 #5

OK seen this been post lot of time here is my idea for all time mod for kingpin I started working on this idea few 1yr ago but here the idea Bm is just dead anymore bm been played out on kingpin till it just boring so.
First we start with best 3 mods in kingpin.
Assault mod
Crash mod
Kp2 mod
There other like CTF mod /assault2 other mod but what I want to do is combined 3 mod in to one all out final version of kingpin lets face it don’t think squeal well very come for kingpin 2 hopefully it well but until then here good idea
Making total new mod like the crash mod and kp2 mod combind them into sort of assault mod in crash mod you had dymite maltase cocktail / diffently weapon in kp2 mod you have the new rocket launcher and the machine gun am talk about changing all the weapon in kingpin and change the game play forget bagman it pretty much dieing out
I been working on soft of new mod I don’t know how to program or model but then idea I have would make very good mod. But it take people to work on project and seem lot are doing there own stuff but it about time two start on total new game mod but how welling on helping in project ? I finely got my website up and running ill be posting some the new screenshot map and some the mods I have from other game some I find out how to look our convert model. mdl files to kingpin but I have no idea how to model or mod make so it take lot long to work on this idea. But you like to here about this new post let me know we take about what I thinking of doing I pretty much have new mod folder done. But with out help it just set here on my computer that about it in this new mod folder I have

Gfx folder over 50 skies’
Map folder 8 band new maps
Model folder tons of new weapon models/diffent stuff have no idea how to model or convert don’t do me much good to try lol
Sound folder tons of game sounds
Texture folder band new textures folders
I started this new game folder about 8months ago that about all been done but I have took most the new map’s and started convert then to kingpin soon as my damn video card let me open qRAD to work on them need new motherboard but if people like to work on this I have time

Sylacs LOL

11 Mar 2003, 05:35 #6

Andy: Although i totally hear what your saying, the improved kp thing is a little out of the question. Why? I could probably find some coders to spend months making a modified quake 2 engine that would run everything in kingpin, but if you want to make it backward compatible, then your loosing the entire purpose of putting forth the effort to improve, all you get in that direction is maybe a little eye candy. The other option is to move kingpin itself to a q3 like engine, but in the process lossing almost all kingpin content because of copyright restrictions.
Cujo: I know what your saying as well, I seem to be having a hard time totally understanding what your saying but it really sounds like a rehash of things that have already been done, am I wrong here?
Currently im on for garcs idea, but I will leave it open for a few more days.Image

cujo

11 Mar 2003, 07:21 #7

here my idea od a mod for kingpin
KINGPIN
URBAN ALLIANCE 1.0
Lets start with this I was working on new game folder about 1yr ago.
In this new game folder I totally added all new.
Gfx folder
Maps folder
Models folder
Sound folder
Texture folder
Sounds and textures I added tons of totally new sounds and textures that I picked out form all the textures packs and made new sound and textures folders took and picked out all news skies from 6 diffently but the last models folder are not done because have no idea how two model. I have been picking through maps for lot games for months to add to this new game folder but like I said have idea how to mod so what else would be needed for working on totally new mod for kingpin?
10 new Maps
Ua_trainstation
Ua_combat
Ua_industry
Ua_ghetto
Ua_allianceAssault
Ua_stationsudan
Ua_mesa
Ua_siberia
Ua_vitrio
Ua_downtown
10new Weapons
1.3X damage Knife instead [pipe]
2.3x damage Tech 9 instead [pistol]
3.2barrelshotgun instead [shotgun]
4. 2xdamage Uzi instead [Tommy]
5. Ak47+scope instead [Ak47]
6.grenade launcher faster explodes time
7.2shot Bazooka
8.flamethrower
9. 5x damage Maltase cocktail/ Dynamite
10.hand grenades

I think out all the textures and sounds packs that we have on Poisonville we don’t needs texture or sounds to make new mod and am sure we have least 4 mods with new weapons to add to this total new mod for kingpin. Now you just need somebody that can work on the rest. Now combining the 3 other mods crashmod/kp2/assault/ctf/ other mod features like weapons and skins some the maps be totally new mod for kingpin
Beside the same old bagman or same old kingpin routine style mod.
So that my idea [GF]CuJo

cujo

11 Mar 2003, 07:38 #8

Just to add
One other thing take all the mods that been made for kingpin over last 4yr but there many problems well you see some people like the assault mod but there just few thing that make people hate it lets take the crash mod had the best idea for kingpin but it just left a lot of things out and added in some area to much it died out know let look at kp2 mod one the nicest idea about this mod is the props and weapons the mod great fun and has lot of cool idea but there just something missing maybe needs little more add ok take the CTF mod great idea skins are cools but if you like me I don’t play CTF did that years ago playing q2 just not my thing .
But as you see in kingpin there lot great idea’s on all the mods but there not one mod that get every thing from all 3or 4 mods.
Now if you can combind them it be totally NEW game for kingpin.

Sylacs LOL

11 Mar 2003, 07:52 #9

Well I like your idea cujo, but to be straight for what your saying you dont need me. Your talking about taking from all these other mods and things from here. There isnt anything new there. All you would need is someone to code it up and you could just slap in your maps, and take the models and textures you need from elsewhere. The thing that I am talking about is not taking from old, but making something totally new, tunnelram himself admitted his biggest problem with crash is that it wasnt original, it was simple an attempt to make counter strike for kingpin, and it fell far short of that. The idea here is to make something totally new to the world of kingpin, something that could be taken to all these sites and say hey! look at this, youve never seen it before....

I Am Mad Dog

11 Mar 2003, 08:02 #10

With everything you guys say! In fact I believe I said all this and more in an earlier post! The main problem with new mods is getting servers to run them! Look at Half-Life; As soon as a new patch comes out, servers scramble to get updated! We have to get rid of servers just running KPDM 1 through 5, well get them to change over to custom maps & mods at least! Updated weapons is cool; Double-fisted Berettas, Jackhammer shotty, stuff you don't see all the time. Like the God-damned SPAS-12 shotgun from Half-life, I was so disappointed to see it in KP2 mod. That damned gun is in every game, c'mon guys, be original! Holy shit, it's past my bedtime.